Evicted.

Monday, April 14, 2008
My brown thumb and I got a wild hair the other day and decided to plant some vines and various flowering plants in some hanging baskets on my front porch. I figured that even though I am the only known human being to have ever killed ivy, I should give the spring planting a go. The roots had been properly stimulated, watered daily and after about a week things seemed to be going well. Nothing looked dead yet.

On Sunday I noticed even the birds agreed with my diagnoses of lush, living viney-flowery plants because two little sparrows were loitering in the above pictured hanging pot. I went out after church to lovingly attend to and water my "babies", when I noticed why all the commotion over the hanging pot earlier in the day:

Now, I'm as much of an animal rights activist as the next guy, but when you start building your home in my home (or on the porch of my home) without paying rent, and threatening to kill my beloved plants- you have to go. Maybe it's mean, but as far as I could tell those birds were out for nothing more than a free ride.

Funny thing is, the very day after I de-nested the hanging pot the nest was built back in the exact same spot. Maybe it's a sign that the plants are good. I threw the nest out again, anyway. Mike had the bright idea (his Dad and Grandpa were both farmers- so his green thumb comes naturally) to put a CD with the shiny side out in the spot where the nest keeps popping up. So far it seems to be working.

Maybe I could stick Samuel in there as sort of a scarecrow... hmm...

2 people are wicked awesome. to Evicted.:

MG said...

Yeah, except when my grandpa and dad were farming, they used to hang up old vinyl LPs. Man, those were the days.

Deanna said...

HAHA!! wish i could get something to grow. We tried planting a garden and lets just say that it is struggling...