Google Video apparently hates me. I have tried multiple times since Saturday to post a video that will warm the cockles of your hearts. Alas, it was not to be. I did have a blog-worthy experience yesterday, though. The inspectors were at the house early yesterday and I had to go over and pay them. I didn't think that this would require any more effort than lifting my little pen to my checkbook. Mom went along with me because she hadn't seen the house yet. The termite inspector gave me his schpiel, telling me the soil level was too high in the back yard (which we already suspected) and the inspection would have to be redone after that was fixed. I realized that this might delay some of the mortgage process so I called my realtor to ask her what to do (since the bank had already made us sign a paper saying they wouldn't do any repairs and we were buying the house 'as is').
Me: Hey, [realtor] the guy said he's not going to pass the insect inspection because the soil is too high in back.
Realtor: (Pause) Do you have a hoe?
Me: Uhhh... yeah... I think maybe I could get one...
I ran over to a neighbor's house that I know and rang the doorbell, but they weren't home. Luckily the termite man let me borrow his pickaxe from the back of his truck. I pickaxed a trench around the back of the house and Mom shoveled it away from the side, exposing the necessary 4 inches of foundation (just a quick fix, of course). All the while Dave was running at our backs saying "Excavator, excavator (his favorite kind of work vehicle). David do it." I just couldn't let Dave hold the pickaxe. That would have fried the circuitry of my internal parental safety modulus. Thankfully the guy was willing to hang around until we finished (which if you ask me, was within record time) and changed the inspection paper. Picture me in flip flops and jeans workin' a pickaxe. My arms are still sore... a little...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 people are wicked awesome. to Sweat Equity. Lit'rally.:
You are tough! I really hope all goes well with this house for you and your family. By the way...I cannot wait to see it when we come in June! Ian's family is having a family reunion so we will have to come and visit for sure! 3 years has been to long.
please come and stay with us. maybe we can get a guest bed by then....hmmm...
seriously- if you can or want to we would love it!! i would even be willing to give up my bed. i think mike would too. he likes camping out.
on the bright side, at least it's just preventative measures you're having to take against the little buggers and not having to TERMINATE them...
HAHAHA! I love you Barbie and your resourcefulness. you rock! I can totally picture you and margie out there workin like a chain gang in the back of your house singing some old timey music whilst you go. but lets look on the bright side...at least it wasn't summer, and you passed!
Wow! I'm impressed! Way to go girls! That's the way to take car of business...
Did the stupid inspector guy just stand there while you worked? I hope he helped a little. I can just picture you out there and Dave running around, that was too funny. I can't wait to see your new house. Post a virtual tour!!!
Post a Comment