I'm spoiled now. I want a trip for my birthday every year.
We headed right up to the Empire State Building (because our hotel room wasn't quite ready). It was Rhiannon's first trip to New York and I never did any of the really touristy stuff when I went last September. It was good to be kidless (although Dave would have loved it), the lines were long and it was hot and sweaty, but the view was amazing.
This was the point of our trip where Rhiannon became the human New York compass. Her photographic memory became apparent after our panoramic view of the city, and she navigated from there on out. I was happy to follow along.
Bob took us to Chinatown and helped us barter with our "knock-off Yoko Ono" for Prada, Gucci and Dolce knockoff bags. We actually got pretty good at bartering thanks to Bob. We just needed a little nudging.
Bob helped us barter for some delicious frog legs, fresh from the frog. Only 3.59 a pound. Well worth it, I say.
Then, being the connoisseur of all things New York, Bob took us to the "best Shanghai dumpling restaurant in the city". And it was honestly delicious.
It may not look like much, but I am craving one right now. With a little ginger sprinkled on top.
On Bob's suggestion we rode the Staten Island Ferry and visited Brooklyn Heights for some of the most amazing pizza I have ever had (and the longest line I have ever waited in for Pizza).
It took us an hour to find Grimaldi's, but it was well worth the trouble. And once again, I let these fine ladies do all the navigating.
Time's Square: this is Emily not getting suckered into buying tickets to a stand up comedy show.
The next morning was Rhiannon's actual birthday, and she got a special treat from the captain of our tour around Manhattan.
Our tour guide gave his tour schpiel from the lower deck, right next to the birthday girl.
I recommend the Circle Line for a good 3 hour tour of the whole Manhattan Island from the water (even the forrested north end). We learned a lot about the history of New York and history in general, including why New York is called "The Big Apple".
Emily left on the Chinatown express back to her hometown, and Rhiannon and I celebrated the rest of her birthday with Thai food, then desserts at a little Italian Trattoria- where a bellydancing bartender blocked our exit for at least 10 minutes. Now that's what I call a goooood time.
Sunday in New York feels magical I think. It was cold and drizzly, but so laidback. The city is so different on Sunday.
We checked out some Monet, Picasso and Van Gogh at the Met- then made our way back down 5th avenue and back home to warm and sunny Tejas.



11 people are wicked awesome. to Happy Birthday to me (and Rhi).:
I'm so jealous! I'm glad you had fun. I would love to go back to New York some day!
Happy birthday! Awesome present!!!
I thought of you in H&M colleen:)
i am jelly- i love NYC! how fun that you got to go!
I'm glad you had fun, Babs! I bet it wasn't as fun as my Public Human Resouces Management class. I bet while you were riding to the top of the Empire State Building you were jealous, wishing you could have been discussing the the intricacies of sexual harassment and workplace violence
But at least I got some sweet ties and a knockoff Rolex.
I love all of these pics. Sounds like you had a wonderful time!
That is awesome!!! Happy (belated) Birthday!!!
I loved your travel log! I wish I could have gone, i t looks like you had a blast, and you got to do so much! But who the heck is BOB?
Firstly...WOW, your hair is getting long.
Secondly...WOW! Looks like you had such a fun time! I'm glad you didn't disappear forever in the Chinatown knock-off vans. I would have missed you ;)
paint me green with envy!! Happy B-Day & glad you had a good time!! And Tamyra Gray as Mimi! Wow!! So jealous!!
Boy, are you in hock to mg now.
I bet he gets all the stereo gear he wants for a couple years now.
Can you believe Christy's company does a bimonthly $35-per-head Manhattan charter bus (3-hr. ride) and we still have not gone?
And my mother was born on the plebe side of the Brooklyn Bridge, which her dad walked across daily to go to work. I have a responsibility to go there!
I guess I still have no use for the big city. Glad you like it. I suppose Christmas shopping this year might include a trip to Macy's some time in the cold part of the season--whenever that bus goes.
Post a Comment