Cardamom: Chef or Sucker?

Sunday, February 03, 2008
I had to buy some cardamom to make some Indian Spiced Chicken Pitas for dinner the other night (from the fabulous Martha Stewart Everyday Cookbook- the favorite Christmas present that was not mentioned this year).

So I went to the store. Checked out the spices.

There it was- the cardamom- $9.98 (for the normal sized jar). Thinking I had to get the cardamom to have the proper array of spices for Indian spiced food, I made the purchase.

I opened the container when I started to make my meal, only to note that cardamom smells surprisingly like regular black pepper. Maybe my taste and smell buds just aren't refined enough. Then again, I can't help thinking I may have been duped by McCormick.

5 people are wicked awesome. to Cardamom: Chef or Sucker?:

AK said...

Barbie!!!! Next time you have a recipe that calls for some crazy spice like that you MUST go to Central Market where you can buy it in the bulk section. They you only have to buy exactly what you need!!! I'm only screaming this at you because that is the thing that I absolutely miss the most about having Central Market nearby.

Oh, and I have no idea how different black pepper and cardamom are. I don't think I've ever used it. Sorry!

barb said...

hmm. central market bulk section. shoulda thought of that.

thanks alli.

when are you coming back into town for another mimi's breakfast?? or maybe CM lunch?

AK said...

It'll probably be a while, but I'll definitely let you know. Miss you!

andi said...

My mom had to use some cardamom in some bread she made recently, too! And she paid an arm and a leg for it! Next time, I say just use the pepper :)

(And sorry I missed you the other day- we were at my parent's watching President Hinckley's funeral.)

Julia said...

you know that's one spice I haven't purchased yet but you may be right about the duped part...they just change the color and call it cardamom