Have a nice fall?

Wednesday, August 30, 2006
It was 69 degrees when I started driving home from work today. I almost had to turn the heater on! Actually, I did turn it half way between the hot and cold- my Texas blood is thin again- I think.
I can't believe August is almost over! Time seems to fly faster as I age. I always heard people say that and thought it was sort of dumb, but I am realizing more and more how true it is.

If you couldn't tell by now, I get a little sentimental and emotional when I don't sleep at night (fancy that). Sorry:). I have been in triage the last two nights. Monday night the patients chewed me up and spit me out. Tonight was better. I'm trying to be more positive and I think (I hope) it's helping.

We had to do an education module on boterrorism at work and some coworkers and I started talking about what we would do if a catastrophic event occured. I tried to imagine all of our beds and waiting room full of sick, dying people. Someone mentioned New Orleans this last year when hospitals full of people were left to die. The nurses, stranded, trying to fan dying patients in buildings without temperature control. One of the people I work with said that in a case like that they would go home. I had never really envisioned myself in that situation. It is definitely a self searching question.

Anyway- obviously I need sleep. Goodnight!

2 people are wicked awesome. to Have a nice fall?:

Kristi said...

You know they were showing New Orleans EMS and how when they go to a wreck now that there are so many hospitals closed they have to sit at the spot where they picked up the people and call to see who can take the patient, what do you do when there is no where to take them? Or even to care for them when they get there, I would stay and help but I imagine I still can't fathom the total mental take on something like that happening and I hope I never do.

barb said...

here, here. wheres your bloggie? are you making one? i assume this is kristi from work...