A Venetian Ambulance- and other cool stuff.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006












How would you feel if you dialed 911 and one of these showed up??














The infamous "bridge of sighs"- that I origianlly mistook for "bridge of size". So as you can imagine, I was expecting something a little bigger. The Bridge of Sighs is the bridge connecting the Doge's Palace with the Prison. The legend is that the prisoners would take one last look over Venice's glory and sigh their last breath of freedom. These crazy Italians are a little mean- wouldn't you say?












Sneaky pictures of the original horses that stood outside St. Mark's Basilica. These are, like, really really old. I'm not sure how old, but they are. The ones outside are replicas of these.











Gelato face!!












The griffin is the symbol of the city.
















Vaporetto (the poor man's Gondola ride)!












Rats with wings.












The square flooded one of the days we were there, which was simultaneously cool and annoying. Elegant decay at it's best. We walked around the square on little sidewalk ramps, shared with about 1.25 million other tourists. Buon Giorno!












The first "digital" clock. It goes in increments of 5 minutes.












I love this picture. The little colored lights are so cute and so Venice.


and now for the crowning picture of glory!!!!











I like the dotted line around the stick figure lady. It's funny and completely necessary.

3 people are wicked awesome. to A Venetian Ambulance- and other cool stuff.:

Anonymous said...

I'm happy you included the pics of the pigeons--or dove-carp as we used to call them in Spain.

I'm reminded of how stupid/maimed those city pigeons are. In Spain, most are missing their toes due to the rough sidewalks and associated perilous landing. So they just walk around on the nubs of their legs. It works for them. Except when they land.

When they land, they are unable to maintain balance so they usually fall face-first just after touchdown. Then they flail their wings until they can right them selves.

Consequently, they don't like flying unless it is absolutely necessary because once aloft, they have to land sometime. They just try to run away when you walk through a crowd of pigeons. I believe these are the type of pigeons that didn't move for George Costanza in that one episode of Seinfeld.

Anonymous said...

I'm happy you included the pics of the pigeons--or dove-carp as we used to call them in Spain.

I'm reminded of how stupid/maimed those city pigeons are. In Spain, most are missing their toes due to the rough sidewalks and associated perilous landing. So they just walk around on the nubs of their legs. It works for them. Except when they land.

When they land, they are unable to maintain balance so they usually fall face-first just after touchdown. Then they flail their wings until they can right them selves.

Consequently, they don't like flying unless it is absolutely necessary because once aloft, they have to land sometime. They just try to run away when you walk through a crowd of pigeons. I believe these are the type of pigeons that didn't move for George Costanza in that one episode of Seinfeld.

andi said...

I hope you didn't participate in the Free Mammagramifico...there's maybe one Italian memory you wouldn't like to have!

(Aha! And I see you have switched to the Beta. I thought something looked different!)