
By show of hands- who's tired of Italy pictures?? Well I'm at least tired of posting them. I think it took me longer to post all these pictures than to go on our actual trip.
These two pictures are from a little "Bone Chapel" inside one of the churches in Milan. Some of you wondered why Catholics would put St. Catherine's thumb in a jar (mind you she didn't lose it- it was removed as a relic after she died. I won't mention the other things that were removed and sent all over as religious relics... ahem... her head). If this doesn't answer your question, I don't know what will. In their defense though, I did find something interesting about this fascination with bodies of the dead. I read a plaque at this church that talked about how these bones are those who worked, lived and died in this church. The bones are saying to all who visit "We were as you are. You will become as we are.". To me, that means- live your life to the fullest. We don't live forever and time runs out quickly, so make sure you do what God would want you to do while you still have time. At least- I hope that's what it means.


On that happy note- we spent our last day in Milan shopping. We didn't have a ton of room in our bags so we couldn't shop along the way too much- but we brought an extra bag to check on the plane- so our last day we were able to buy some of the bigger, bulkier stuff. We found this awesome street market where we spent half the day- and then went shopping on Corso Buenos Aires, the non-Prada/ Gucci (yet still fashionable) shopping in Milan.

Oh and I forgot the part about how we ate gelato. Lots and Lots of gelato.


The Alps as we left Milan.

Greenland (we think).
Our trip was amazing and I feel incredibly blessed and lucky that, with the help of our family and patience of our sweet little boy, we were able to go. I would love to go back someday, but for now I am happy in a place where people speak my language and I can listen to the song Threadbare Gypsy Soul without thinking someone is going to steal my bag. I definitely think that going broadened my perspective of humanity and made me think more deliberately about what I do and how I treat people. Also- while living like you have an endless supply of money and time is fun- regular, everyday working and living are the sweetest times we have. Now that I've waxed sappy and philosophical- it's on to regular life posting (which sometimes seems more fun than fancy posting!).




3 people are wicked awesome. to Arrivederci Italia:
Fun fun trip! It would have been even more fun to see your friend, "mr. bones" but I'm sure he'd be heavy to carry around all the time. Too bad!
thanks for taking us all to italy with you, it was a sweet trip...hope to see you next fall. love you barb
To me the bone chapel motto says, "we're coming back from the dead to kill you, so you bettermake your peace with the world."
It's just one man's opinion.
Post a Comment