Naturale o Frizzante?

Sunday, October 22, 2006
Sorry these posts are so slow in coming. I think going back to work the day after we got back tired me out. Not to mention the fact that I still don't feel like I've spent enough time with the boy. But having the next few days off will help:) Moving right along...

These pictures are from the Lake Como area. We headed there our second day in Italy and left on our third (it's about a 45 minute train ride from Milano).
















Walls of the city. Originally here to protect the city from invaders. Now here to just stand there and look cool in my picture.












Ahhh, the titular picture! This was the beginning of my love affair with acqua frizzante. Erin, I know I tried San Pellegrino at your house once, but I think, to become addicted, one must have gassy water in the context it was meant for: a long, leisurely lunch on the sidewalk outside a little bar ristorante (defintely in a wine glass). Funny thing is, that bread on our table was from the people sitting at another table who had already left. The waitress took it off the neighboring table, set it on ours, and chattered something in Italian. I asked Mike to translate. She said "Oh good- it's still warm". So much for passing that food-handlers test. The bread was delicious.













Skinny streets.













Does it not hurt your heart how beautiful this place is? No wonder George Clooney has his Villa on this lake (also- because he's rich).













Flower shop on the main drag.











A street market! Mahhh favorite!













The Funicular- a terrifyingly steep, fun ride straight up the mountainside, connecting Como to Brunate. It's like something from a nightmare, except you're awake.

















Thar she blows.












Mike's not too sure about this... ok- I'll admit- I was the one that was scared.

8 people are wicked awesome. to Naturale o Frizzante?:

andi said...

I loved the part about the bread! (and the fact that it looks like the little tree/topiary is posing in the picture instead of you!) I bet you were sad to leave in some ways, huh. Lake Como looks unreal. THAT'S IT. I may have to hypnotize my hub so we can go!

barb said...

try slipping into his subconcious while his sleeping... or you can be really demanding, like me... that works too:)

about the topiary. i never professed to be a photographer! ok!

also- i neeeeed to seee you... not telling why.

Anonymous said...

Yeah...so I really want to go now. The whole bread thing and language difference scares me though. Everything looks so beautiful. How were the hotels?

Bone Junior said...

I hope there are action shots of your terrifyingly fun ride up the mountain!

barb said...

the hotels were crappy. queen beds in italy are just 2 single beds pushed together. no box spring. and i swear they are the thinnest mattresses available on the planet. nothing is ever good enough for us whiney americans (from the US that is). the showers were about half the size of our tiny one at home. co-showering is not an option (hypothetically of course...). however, if you go to italy i guess you don't really care about the hotel, because why would you be there unless to sleep? so- really it's ok.
i'll put some pictures of our hotels up.

PS- please disregar any type-os in my comments. i'm not too good at porofreeding.

Anonymous said...

So what, you went to Italy. Big deal. I had lunch at the Deli of Italy yesterday right here in Pennsylvania.

So you got pics? Well now I do too. Downloaded yours.

Plus, the mildew in my shower is MINE.

Hope you guys had a fantastic time and get to go back soon before the Duomo spouts minarets.

Jen said...

I had to laugh when I saw the "titular" picture. I always laugh to myself when I hear the "Titular line" but have no one to share it with. Hmmm, I wonder where we got it from?

It looks beautiful and I am glad you guys had a good time.

barb said...

steve- i much prefer my own mildew as well.

jen- the longer we're married, the more i realize how many little inside jokes mike has created for different people.

k- i'm going to try to post some more now. sorry this is taking so long!